Monday, December 22, 2008

Google Docs

The Online Applications unit demonstrated a lot of collaborative web applications. Many of them would be very useful in the work situation. Documents are often worked on by serveral people, and programs like Google Docs mean there will be no confusion with multiple versions of the one document as everyone is able to access the original.

Brisbane City Council libraries has 32 branchs and, though we all have our specific ways of doing certain things, the basic requirements are the same. I'm sure many informal documents that have been created in individual libraries could be used and improved by others.

For this task I set up the beginnings of a storytime songlist (http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgc37jtb_0d3wpnsdv). All libraries have storytime and I'm sure most include a small amount of singing. I personally have a document with the songs I like to use, as I imagine other regular storytimers do. A songlist document that all libraries can access and contribute too would be very handy =) With the Google Docs songlist I created I've made a start by putting in the lyrics for Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Anyways, I created the document as an experiment for this excercise, but feel free to add to it if you wish. If you add any I haven't already got in my own file I'll be very interested =)

No comments: