Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Wacka Wacka Wiki Woo Woo

Was it explained anywhere why Wikis are called Wikis?

Initially I was going to do this activity by contributing to the Wikipedia entry on my suburb, Redbank Plains, but due to time constraints I've done a book review on our library wiki instead http://bcclssupport.wetpaint.com/thread/2200784/UNWIND+by+Neal+Shusterman. I'm keen to contribute to the Redbank Plains entry though and will do that in my own time at home. It's such a brief entry and I have quite a bit of local history that would personalise the suburb so much more =)

Wikis seem to be quite versatile, varying from facts to opinions to evolving tasks and so much more.

I found it very easy to make a thread entry in the BCCLS Bookclub. However, it appears to me that Wikipedia requires quite a bit more time and expertise. Reading through the instructions it appears you need to know a bit about html and the referencing required does not follow a standard format but is expected you should know one of the styles. I don't have a problem doing this myself, but it does require more time (hence going with the easier option =P) and I don't think the average joe blow could be guaranteed to do a perfect job. I assume they are expecting peer review to pick up any poor attempts.

Anyways, this was great fun and I hope to add more book reviews in the future.

A final comment on 23Things... I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to do this. Some things I'll never use again, but many others I'll be experimenting with for weeks to come, possibly even as an ongoing thing. Thank you to the powers that be for making this happen and encouraging us with such enthusiasm =)

No comments: