Thursday, December 11, 2008

To be or not to be? ... that is the question.

A) TO BE of course! Just as long as the 'to be' is good, as in the phrase, "I'm to be given Jaffas tonight for dessert" =)

Haha! Probably not an award winning answer but surely I get points for the awesome subtle suggestion!

Q) So have you guessed the topic of this blog?
A) Answerboards!

I think Slamming the Boards is a great idea. It is certainly one very good way to promote librarians and the work we can do for people with questions. I even think if I ever get a spare few minutes I'll have a crack at slamming the boards too =)

Answerboards could work well in elibcat with people reviewing books, though perhaps it would be a bit overwhelming if unlimited comments were allowed. I think a good way of implementing reviews would be to create a selection of books each month based around a theme (eg, new release, popular, classic, genres, non-fic subjects) and for that month customers are invited to share their comments.

I really liked the answerboards that implemented a rating system. It means people can have a say without taking up a lot of time getting into the details (as required by reviews/comments). Ratings would work very well in elibcat and be compact enough to use with every item. It would allow people browsing for a good read to quickly see the average concensus of what other readers thought. It would also be quite engaging for the people choosing to contribute to the ratings =)








No comments: