Monday, December 22, 2008

Social Networking

Since starting 23Things I was inspired to become a member of Facebook and do a bit of reminiscing, looking for my old highschool friends I've lost contact with over the years. I was very surprised to find a significant number had accounts and, even better, was having a little visual peek at what they've been up to.

I struggle sometimes with the idea that maybe I'm being nosey, but in the end curiosity wins out and I figure other people feel just as I do, hence the site being such a success. As long as people are willing to share a little of their lives through photos, Facebook is an unobtrusive way to keep in touch with past friends. You might never actually meet up with them again, but the choice is there and in the meantime it is comforting to know how they are going. Members choose what they want to share and even who they want to see their photos, so the site is only as invasive as the individual wants it to be. All the hooha about loss of privacy can only be put back on the person who chooses to share things they'd rather keep private.

All in all I think sites such as Facebook are an awesome development in socialnetworking. I plan to use Facebook personally outside of 23Things, as well as the other tools I've been impressed with throughout this course (del.icio.us and wikis).

See you soon... on the net =)

No comments: